Welcome to A Crafter's Corner! I love to create crafty projects, and would love to share some of my creations with you! If you are interested in scrapbooking, stamping, or cross stitch, these are the venues I use most often. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, February 2, 2015

A weekend at home

I have to admit, this is the first weekend that I have been home, for the entire weekend, in months. I have spent weeks in Texas, taking care of mom after surgery, weekends following my son's new Air Force career, weekends with son in TN, and any weekend not mentioned above, I have spent with my dad, weekends I will cherish.

If you've followed my blog, you may have read at some point, that my dad fell last year and broke his hip. Maybe I talked about it here, maybe I didn't get around to it. We didn't think dad would pull through the surgery he needed, but we had to take a chance. We almost lost him, but he's a tough man. His health has continued to decline since the hip, but he was on hospice care before he fell, so we knew he wasn't healthy to begin with. I spoke with his nurse last week, and made it known, when he needs me to move in, my husband, and my employer know, that's where I'll be.

So I have really, really needed a weekend at home, to catch up with stuff, maybe do some long overdue cleaning. With so much to be done, how did I prioritize? I can't wait to show you!




This is my "scrapbook room. " When we bought our house 15 years ago, this was a wet bar in the basement, by the pool table. We aren't big drinkers, so we didn't need a wet bar, and out it went. It has been a perfect area for all my papercrafting supplies. Over the past year however, I have pulled the products I needed to use, carried them to the kitchen table in the basement to work, and just dropped them back in this area, to put away later. As you can see, later just never happened. As it turns out, other things get dropped here too-for instance, see the stack of tshirts on the floor in the bottom picture? That is a collection of shirts from all the motocross tracks we travelled to with youngest son. In my spare time, these will become a tshirt quilt for him. I washed them, counted them, and sorted them according to color and how many pieces I could use from each shirt. Then they were restacked, and haven't been cut yet. My biggest goal for the weekend, to just be able to get to my desk and actually use it!

Over the years, I bought and loved the cubes by Crop In Style. I don't know if they even make them anymore, I haven't been able to find them. I bought some by another company, and was seriously disappointed. The Recollections brand I bought at Michaels craft store were not the same size, nor were they the same quality. I spent hours building them, only to find out I had wasted my money, lesson learned. Now i have a pair of useless wooden cubes sitting around.

I made some progress cleaning my zone, not as much as I hoped for, see paragraph above. But I now have the ability to use my desk! And I was so happy at having made some clear space, I was able to play a little. I am member of a 4H group of papercrafters, and we are hosting a crop for cancer in April. I fiddled with projects for that, so more paper, cutters and punches were brought out. I had time to play and create, something I haven't done in a while. My zone remains, a work in progress.

Thanks for stopping by, hope you had a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy, I have been trying to catch up with friends. I have finished all of the Valentine tea towels for this year that I have planned to make. I am working on a lap quilt now that is going to take a while. I spent the weekend at home because of the weather. We had rain and then it turned to snow. About 7 inches my car is covered and 1 degree out. I thought about going out, but decided I had no business being out. It was nice to take time for myself. You have been busy that is for sure and I will pray that things get better for you. I liked your finished projects. Have a great day. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley-the weatherman keeps threatening us with some wet stuff, rain or snow, and I look forward to being snowed in, so far, nothing worth having. You have done well to have your Valentine projects completed already! I am afraid I have been so busy, I didn't realize that time of year has rolled around already. Thanks for stopping by to visit

      Delete
  2. Goodness Cindy, you have been busy. I'm never home on the weekends, so I can relate. My office/scrapbook/sewing room is much the same. I had counters and shelves built over a year ago and I still have not gotten it completely organized. I'm working on it though and maybe by the end of the week, I'll be satisfied. A woman's work is never done, is it? Sorry to hear that your father is not doing so well. I'll say a prayer for him. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie-Yes, a woman's work is never done. It's funny to think my scrapbook area is such chaos to me, and yet when friends come over and want to use something, I know exactly where to look. Life has been so busy, but I know there will be a time when I don't have my parents to tend to, so I am thankful I can spend the time with them now. Prayers appreciated, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Hi sweetie my goodness you have been keeping busy with your parents. Big hugs to you. Am happy you got to spend some time in your work space.
    Playing is so therapeutic for the soul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi CatieAn-I spent all day yesterday, playing with paper, and was sooooo happy at the end of the day. My soul was definitely replenished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow, this is impressive!

    sparkle & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete